Skip to main content

Wisconsin, Unions, Music Business, and other thoughts

Greetings. It's been a while since I have made an entry into this blog, but I assure you I have not been neglecting the development of my 'Music as a Business' dreams and goals.

I'm going to go into a mode of writing that is more like entering into a journal, because this way I can accomplish my goal of linking to all of the material that I'm consuming, and tie myself into a wider network of ideas, resources, and people.

NOTE: Please excuse me if this reads like I'm just saying, "me me me me me me ME me me". So far I'm doing all this 'music business' stuff on my own, and it helps to type it out and chart my progress. I also do it to invite feedback!

To begin: I've relocated from BITTER North Dakota, to WET Wisconsin with my partner Jessica. We're really enjoying being closer to more metro areas, and I look forward to making more music connections in the process of getting some gigs in order. So far the Acoustic Cafe in Menominee looks promising. 

While looking for a job and working on fixing up some old tracks, I've been reading posts on Digital Music News, as it pertains to independent musicians who want to break out of the antiquated "Big Record Company as a Loan-Shark" business model that has existed since the early days.

Lurking through those articles has lead me to some nice work from the prolific blogger/musician (and fellow Mid-Westerner) Ari Herstand on 10 Full time musicians. Not only was the article inspiring, but it gave me a grip of good advice from people who are living off their 'musicing'.

One particular point of advice was the idea of relying on Merchandise sales to make up for touring expenses. The idea of developing merch got me all hot under the collar, because I could design my own t-shirts and posters, and make use of my oft-neglected doodling abilities.

Now the thought of who shall provide the service offers a deep consideration. Its pretty sad that sweatshops are still making clothes! Although not a top example of good practices, American Apparel supposedly does manufacturing in America, BUT they have multiple instances of sexual harassment and to be honest don't set a very high standard for egalitarian imagery in there ads.

BUT THERE IS HOPE! As the Salon article linked-to above states, the company EthixMerch looks pretty freaking perfect. There is even a cooperative printing shop! I'll be posting more about merch as I develop some products, but so far it's a little ways off. Perhaps I may do a Kickstarter to get some of the first batches up and running, but that will be an effort in itself.

On a similar note, I'm developing the idea of Branding an image to fit with my sound, as well as creating a performing title (still a secret). As for clothing, I'm leaning towards the handsome gentleman look (whether or not Jude Law is in fact a Gentleman, he's still goddamn handsome):
The merch will tie in with other branding ideas, and hopefully it will make more sense as it progresses.

Anyway, I suggest you read the Salon article about sweatshops, and think about collective buying power as a means to make social change. Kind of like that cooperative grocery store just down the street...

Thanks for tuning in and see you soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Programming Languages Are For Humans

Today, I would like to share my final paper from the Technical Writing course I took this semester. I intended this paper to be read by a general audience, so don't be discouraged when I say that it's about programming languages.  This paper isn't perfect, and I am by no means an expert, but I feel like it would be better to share this than to discard it.  BTW, not to gloat, but the main author whom I'm quoting thinks I did alright!  Excellent job Zengid. I think you actually understood the work quite well. Not easy given the amount of data in that paper! https://t.co/PzKhWmXZev — Andreas Stefik (@AndreasStefik) December 13, 2016 Note: I'll try to figure out how to add hyperlinks to the outline and the glossary without Blogger fudging it up, but maybe not right away. Programming Languages Are For Humans Syntax Design and Its Effect on Intuitiveness ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Joel Jonientz

A few days ago, one of my most influential professors died of a heart attack. His name was Joel Jonientz ( blog ), and he was 46. Joel was my teacher for a few projects, starting with an attempt at making a video game. His role was keep a bunch of misfit digital punks inline, and keep them on task with their delegated duties. I was a part of the music team, together with Bernie Thomas. Our job was to compose music for each level. This was pretty important since the game was based around the music, kind of like Dance Dance Revolution or Guitaru Man , where the player had to hit a button or something in-time with the music. But our game was different: it would be like Mario Bro's, a "platformer", where hitting a button in time with the music would give the player a boost to get up to a difficult platform, or some other super awesome power that would help them complete each level. Composing the music meant figuring out how to encode the required series of 'power

Tech Archaeology: Unearthing the Artifacts of a False Prediction

Greetings. This is going to be a shorter rant. New year, new me! Anyway, I was inspired to write this after I caught myself falling into a usual habit: investigating the validity of a prediction which claims that a technology (it could be anything) will take over in the future. I'll start from the beginning. It all started when I was dutifully studying for my Databases class. While reading the textbook, Database Processing  (13th edition) by Kroenke and Auer, I came across a passage that was summarizing the history of database processing. Being that this book first came out around 1977, it has probably witnessed very few shifts  in the popularity of database technology over its existence; namely, the rise of Relational Model and its subsequent dominance. Never-the-less, in a table that describes the emergence of database technology, there is a row for the "XML and Web Services" era (after "Open-Source DBMS" and right before the "Big Data and NoSQL"