Skip to main content

My Time With Google Apps Script: A Short Summary

JavaScript and Google Apps Script

Over the last year and a half, I've been teaching myself JavaScript quite obsessively. I've used the knowledge to build a few applications for use at work --to log phone calls and orders, generate Bills of Materials, and analyze costs. All of this has been done through the Google Apps Script application programming interface (API), which allows one to write custom automation for Google's Apps such as Docs, Sheets, and G-mail. Scripts run in a JavaScript environment on Google's servers, but one can also build HTML user-interfaces (UIs) that plug into the apps, or stand-alone scripts with their own URLs. Thus I've been able to build my own apps, without needing to worry about registering with a hosting company. The code structure for an HTML UI requires one to segregate 'server-side' and 'client-side' JavaScript, and use a simplified AJAX-like API to send data between the client and server (I use single quotes because i'm approximating the words client and server to refer to their more common meaning, but because the Google Apps Script environment abstracts away the need to deal with HTTP, 'server' and 'client' code looks much more tame that how it would appear in a more open web environment). The 'client-side' JS runs in an I-Frame sandbox, so one can use popular libraries like JQuery and ReactJS though a CDN, or including the library in the Script itself. I've gained quite a bit of experience working with JavaScript and JQuery in regards to processing data and building application structures. But despite all of this, the scope of working in this environment is highly limited. I could go into more detail, but suffice it to say that I'm looking forward to exploring a more open Web Stack.


One thing I've realized is that I would like to seek out opportunities to work in the field of Software Development. I feel that I have a knack for problem-solving, as well as the creativity and imagination required for building applications.
This fall, Jessica and I will be moving to Russellville Arkansas, where she will be a visiting professor for Visual Arts at Arkansas Tech University. This presents me with the opportunity for lowered tuition costs, so I will be attending ATU to pursue a BS in computer science, in order to create a fresh start as a professional programmer. With a degree I will be better suited to explore more areas of Computer Science than simply web-development, which I'm beginning to feel may be an over-saturated field.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Programming Languages Are For Humans

Today, I would like to share my final paper from the Technical Writing course I took this semester. I intended this paper to be read by a general audience, so don't be discouraged when I say that it's about programming languages.  This paper isn't perfect, and I am by no means an expert, but I feel like it would be better to share this than to discard it.  BTW, not to gloat, but the main author whom I'm quoting thinks I did alright!  Excellent job Zengid. I think you actually understood the work quite well. Not easy given the amount of data in that paper! https://t.co/PzKhWmXZev — Andreas Stefik (@AndreasStefik) December 13, 2016 Note: I'll try to figure out how to add hyperlinks to the outline and the glossary without Blogger fudging it up, but maybe not right away. Programming Languages Are For Humans Syntax Design and Its Effect on Intuitiveness ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Joel Jonientz

A few days ago, one of my most influential professors died of a heart attack. His name was Joel Jonientz ( blog ), and he was 46. Joel was my teacher for a few projects, starting with an attempt at making a video game. His role was keep a bunch of misfit digital punks inline, and keep them on task with their delegated duties. I was a part of the music team, together with Bernie Thomas. Our job was to compose music for each level. This was pretty important since the game was based around the music, kind of like Dance Dance Revolution or Guitaru Man , where the player had to hit a button or something in-time with the music. But our game was different: it would be like Mario Bro's, a "platformer", where hitting a button in time with the music would give the player a boost to get up to a difficult platform, or some other super awesome power that would help them complete each level. Composing the music meant figuring out how to encode the required series of 'power

One AI to Rule Them All

In my last post, I mentioned that I was interested in looking across the field of Computer Science to see if there my be other areas worth working in in the future, besides web-development. Primarily, I'm interested in a more powerful run-time environment. So Python or Clojure seem very enticing. A safe first step would be to learn about the architecture of server-side code, to deepen my understanding of Web-stacks, and also to satisfy my curiosity of what else is out there in terms of languages, VM's, and code paradigms. Another motivation to look outside of web-dev has come more recently, in the form of some sage advice from an interview with Elon Musk . In it he states that there is too much talent working in the internet space [  55:00 ]. So if web-dev is overcrowded, what would be a worthy Comp-Sci field to pursue? In the same interview, Musk also alludes to the seriousness of the approaching revolution taking place in the field of Artificial Intelligence. He descr